Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Parade of Hats

Hats are, of course, instant gratification knits. That is, if they turn out and actually fit the person you are making them for! Here are a bunch of 2007 hats, some with better results than others. . .

***********************************************

First off, hats for nieces A and S. Used Landscape yarn (Lion Brand), wool/acrylic mix. The yarn is just okay, but I love this pink colorway. The hat on the left is a regular beanie, the one on the right is from Simply Knitting Magazine, and has a seed stitch trim, kind of diamond-like (doesn't show up well in this yarn, boo hoo).


************************************************

Next we have reluctant model Daughter #3 (or is it Cousin It?) wearing "Clara" from Hip Knit Hats by Cathy Carron. The pattern is cute, but the unfortunate choice of gross acrylic yarn made the knitting unpleasant. I also am not a fan of the top-down construction, basically because my Wrap Method cast on at the top is inferior!!! The hat has been worn several times.

*******************************************

Using Wendy Bernard's Le Slouch as a guide, the following slouchy beret is knit with chunky Lion Brand Wool Ease. It was mostly made on a road trip to my folks for Thanksgiving, but we're still waiting for some really, really cold weather so that it can be worn comfortably.

Note to knitters: Don't make a slouchy beret with chunky yarn. It is really heavy, and kind of awkward.

*******************************************************

Next up, another attempt at a slouchy beret. This is acrylic yarn, too -- sorry about that. It's just that I don't want to use my more expensive yarn for unpredictable projects, and when the recipients tend to leave their accessories who knows where, I refuse to use the good stuff!!!



**************************************************


Here we have Austin City Limits Hat (Alchemy Yarns) knit with Panda Cotton bought at my LYS Loops. (I love this yarn!)

I think the pattern is cute, but my girls say it is dorky with the flat top. The main problem is the fit -- it is too big around, and too short, making it unsuitable for a human head, but okay for either Charlie Brown or Big Bird. It is currently in the junk/stash/stuff basket awaiting mods, but I am not good about frogging and redoing. Wish I knew someone with a big round head to give it to!

*******************************************************


And lastly, we have a big loser. This was an attempt at an even bigger slouchy beret, but it is worthy only of a huge mushroom head with the biggest dreads in the world. Too bad, because it took me forever to darn in the ends from changing yarns. Also, the band was too big, so I took it out and redid it, and now it is too tight. It makes me cringe to look at it!



Oh, Mom, the shame of it!

No comments: